Provincial Legal Office
Atty. Voltaire B. Garcia
Provincial Legal Officer
2nd Floor, Agriculture Building, Capitol Compound, Bayombong, Nueva Vizcaya
- Formulate measures for the consideration of the Sanggunian and provide legal assistance and support to the governor or mayor as the case maybe, in carrying out the delivery of basic services and provisions of adequate facilities as provided for under Section 17 of this code.
- Develop plans and strategies and upon approval thereof by the governor or mayor, as the case maybe, implement the same particularly those which have to do with programs and projects related to legal services which the governor or mayor is empowered to implement and which sanggunian is empowered to provide for under this code.
In addition to the foregoing duties and functions, the legal officer shall:
i) Represent the local government unit in all civil actions and special proceedings wherein the local government unit or any official thereof, in his official capacity is a party: Provide that in actions or proceedings where a component city or municipality is a party adverse to the provincial government or to another component city or municipality, a special legal officer maybe employed to represent the adverse party
ii) When required by the governor, mayor or sanggunian , draft ordinances, contracts, bonds, leases and other instruments involving any interest of the local government unit and provide comments and recommendation on any instruments already drawn
iii) Render his opinion in writing on any question of law when requested to do so by the governor, mayor or sanggunian
iv) Investigate or cause to be investigated any official or employee for administrative neglect or misconduct in office and recommend appropriate action to the governor, mayor or sanggunian as the case maybe
v) Investigate or cause to be investigated any person, firm or corporation holding any franchise or exercising any public privilege for failure to comply with any term or condition in the grant of such franchise or prilege and recommend appropriate action to the governor, mayor or sanggunian, as the case maybe
vi) When directed by the governor, mayor or sanggunian, initiate and prosecute, in the interest of local government concerned, any civil action on any body, lease or other contract upon violation thereof
vii) Review and submit recommendations on ordinances approved and executive orders issued by components units.
- Recommend measures to the Sanggunian and advised the governor or mayor, as the case maybe on all matter related to upholding the rule of law
- Be in the frontline of protecting human rights and prosecuting any violation thereof, particularly those which occur during and in the aftermath of man-made or natural disasters and calamities
- Exercise such other powers and perform other duties and functions as may be prescribe by law or ordinance.
- Formulate legal measures for the consideration of the Governor and the Sanggunian Panlalawigan
- Provide legal assistance and support to the Governor, government employees and other people in the delivery of basic services