Etymology of LGU names: The Municipality of Alfonso Castañeda and its component barangays
The Municipality of Alfonso Castañeda was created by virtue of Batas Pambansa No. 27 authored and sponsored by then-Assemblyman Carlos M. Padilla and signed into law by then-President Ferdinand E. Marcos on April 20, 1979. It derives its name from Hon. Alfonso Delos Reyes Castañeda, Governor of the Province of Nueva Vizcaya from 1925 to 1928. He was a local leader popularly known as “The Great Isinay Teacher and Politician”. He is also remembered for initiating the construction of a new building in place of the original Capitol edifice built from 1904 to 1906 under the leadership of Governor Louis G. Knight that was damaged by fire on March 5, 1923.
Barangay Abuyo: Long before Abuyo was established as a Barangay of the Municipality of Alfonso Castañeda, its original inhabitants were the Ilongots, also known as Bugkalots, who simply lived by hunting wild animals in the place. The barangay derives its name from “Abuyo”, the Ilocano word for the wild chicken species that are endemic in the area.
Barangay Cawayan: The barangay’s name was derived from the word “Kawayan”, which means Bamboo for both the Ilocanos and Tagalogs. It was named as such on account of the several species of bamboo that abound in the area.
Barangay Galintuja: “Galintuja” is an acronym in honor of Galindez, Linsangan, Tubayan, and Jardinez, four officials of the defunct Commission on National Integration (CNI) who initiated and worked for the declaration of the place as a resettlement area for the Ibalois and Kankanaeys who were then displaced as a result of the construction of the Ambuklao and Binga Dams in Benguet.
Barangay Lipuga: The barangay’s name was derived from the Bugkalot word “Lipu-lipo” which describes the delightful “playing movements” of the different species of fish that abound in bodies of water in the place. The abundance of fish in the area also motivated other people to settle therein. Fishing had been the main source of subsistence among the inhabitants.
Barangay Lublub: “Lublub” comes from the Tagalog word “Lubluban”, which means “Swamp” in English. A large portion of the place used to be swampy where animals burrow themselves in mud to stay cool. Many species of birds also rely on the wetlands for food, water, and shelter, especially during migration and breeding.
Barangay Pelaway: “Pelaway” refers to the name of an eye-catching huge tree in the area that was first occupied by the barangay’s original inhabitants. It is where the Taan Dam is situated. According to the villagers, people passing by used to rest beneath the shade of this tree that has an overarching canopy and dense foliage. The name was adopted to also give due importance to that place.
Municipal Socio-Economic Profile of Alfonso Castañeda (Courtesy of AC-MPDO)
Socio-Economic Profiles of the Barangays of Alfonso Castañeda (Courtesy of AC-MLGOO, DILGNV)